Popular Posts

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Feelings..8.. Transition...

Everyone has a reason to write.. for me, as I was telling someone very special to me, writing is a vent- out of my emotions… it helps me to stabilize when under emotional stress.. and I write, perhaps, when I am most stressed …. I am happy to have a small audience that reads my postings now and then… after all, why write at all if its not read, appreciated, or criticized, or just dumped as “utter nonsense”?
The latest is my friend, Mac (obviously not his real name.. and anyways, who cares? A name is a name, is a name, after all), who prefers to call himself “Hues of Life” … J isn’t the name very poetic? Well, Mac himself is very poetic, an ardent blogger like me and weaves poetry and dreams around with his words… now he, being a poet, differs to call me a “common man”.. he thinks I’m special, very special.. well well, Mac buddy, thanks a ton for such a face-lift for the poor old (or, middle aged?) common man…. It sure is a compliment… (Hey everyone, just to keep the records straight, we are not playing here the Dostana roles, me and Mac, OK? )J we are just buddies in this virtual world, willing to help each other in their common interest of writing and blogging..
Anyways, this Mac guy has been advising that I change my image from being “a common man” to “a special man”… now, what does that take?? The common man is mighty confused (what’s new in that? He’s always in a state of confusion, our man)..
But, what are the traits of a special person? Who would someone call “a special person”? Would one call Abdul Kalam or Tagore a special person? Or, even more pertinent, does one necessarily have to be a celebrity to be someone ‘special”? What are the criteria?
What perhaps sets the icons apart from our common men are, perhaps, a dream and conviction to fructify it.. so it calls for raw courage to see the dream materialize.. we all have dreams, but how many of us have the conviction in it and the courage to see it through?
But of course, Mac was not referring to all this… like all poets, he was referring to romanticism of life and the joy and happiness surrounding it… now that is all very well, but romanticism cannot lose touch with reality.. and that’s where our common man’s perspective of looking at life in general and society in particular, differs from poet Mac.. life is not all bed of roses, not always.. and besides, roses have thorns too..
Does our common man stink of morbidity?? Does he always look at life, with all its ‘hues’, through the lenses of cynicism?
When I asked the common man what he thinks about the issue, he tried to answer honestly by saying that his perspectives are his own emotions, sentiments, beliefs etc all of which gets molded/impacted every day by the external stimuli called environment….. the environment throws challenges (psychological as well as physiological) at him every day, and he tries to cope up with the same… at times he cannot remain rational too (particularly when there are issues pertaining to his lady love), he gets emotionally upset and personal..

That seems to be a fair way of looking at things..  so long as our common man operates from the adult state of “I’m OK, you ‘re OK”, things are fine… I leave it to the reader to decide whether our common man needs a face-lift ..   

2 comments:

  1. be just a common man buddy, after all the common man is special in his own way. i like u that way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks dear... I also think so... the common man is special, in his own way.. he is different from the crowd, and does not wish to be a part of the run-of-the-mill... let him be the way he is, at least that way he will see things that we tend to miss out in our daily struggles..

    ReplyDelete